Confused and irritated by m43rds 12-50mm zoom (and m43rds lens lineup)

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hans-Helmut
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
Confused and irritated by m43rds 12-50mm zoom (and m43rds lens lineup)
Mar 14, 2012

Hi,

I have been contemplating about getting an EM5 loads of time recently and while the body looks very promising, I am however still confused or rather irritated about the m43rds lens line up.

The m43rds 12-50mm ist weathersealed. That would put in the HG category in standard 43rds territory. However standard 43rds HG zoom lenses tended to be fast and sharp. The 12-50mm is none of these, rather slow and soft from what I have seen. Only really fit for video IMHO, but is it really worth it then, a lens only being dragged around for videos?

The other lenses also confuse me: The 12mm and announced 75mm m43rds primes don't seem to be weathersealed, yet carry a premium price tag. Why aren't they sealed? The cheaper 12-50mm is, so what's the problem? It was always very nice knowing that if you spend the money on Oly HG (or SHG) glass, then you would be ok in bad weather. I am not planning on spending a fair bit of cash on a 12mm landscape lens only to ruin it in the rain.

And all this discussion is only necessary because Oly still haven't figured out or rather aren't offering a proper and working solution (and not talking about static subjects here!!) for adapting standard 43rds lenses. Grrrrrr!!!!

Not happy.

Cheers,
Hans-Helmut

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow