Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
csdotam
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
[Smoking] Profoto D4
Mar 14, 2012

Was just wondering if anyone had also encountered this (so I'd know how to proceed):

Long story short.. I've had a D4 2400r running for a few hours now. Only two heads (6.0 / 6.0 / OFF / OFF) and I've not been using the modeling lights. Maybe taking about 5 or so shots every ten minutes.

At one point, the pack wouldn't fire. Lights are all still on (as is the Test button) but no dice. Saw a hint of white smoke (that was accompanied by 'that' aroma) and thought it'd be a good idea to unplug everything and wait a while. I searched around to see if anyone else had had this happen and I came across this article:

http://photoartsmonthly.com/blog/2011/02/28/high-speed-strobe-test-the-profoto-acute-2r-1200/

"Profoto packs, including the Acute 2, are wired with safety systems that prevent overheating. In the past, I’ve had Profoto packs slow down for cooling (including one memorable experience with a smoking Pro-7 rental that took an hour to start firing again)."

I've left the D4 for a while, plugged it back in, plugged a head in, turned on the modeling light (works), hit 'Test' - it beeps but doesn't fire. Smelled that smell again (the one where it smells like something electrical is being fried) so I powered down and have retired the pack for now.

Thoughts/suggestions/any idea (if it needs to be repaired) how much I'm looking at?

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow