85mm f/1.2 L II first shots

Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Barney Hamilton
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Re: 85mm f/1.2 L II first shots
In reply to DaSigmaGuy, Mar 14, 2012

You have good composition skills and some very photogenic subjects but I must say I was very dismayed to see how much CA you were getting on some of these when viewed at original size....I have the older FD 85mm f1.2 L version and I get hardy any CA at all wide open so it looks like the newer EF version is actually worse than the older one it was supposed to replace!

I also noticed a lot of noise and "artifacts" in the OOF background in some of them...I assume the reason for this is that you must have been using a high ISO setting to try and freeze those fast moving kids?...If not, it could be because they were underexposed at capture and pulled back in processing.

Yes, on the CA, the 85MM f1.2L II is known to have higher levels wide open than older lenses (see this review http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx for example).

On the noise you can spot, my ageing camera will be the guilty party - many shots were at 400-640 ISO as the kids were moving around, which is really beyond the territory of a noise free image of my 8 year old 1D Mark II. Whatever the 1DX is like, it will be an upgrade for me!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Barney Hamilton
Canon 1D Mk II

Barney Hamilton's gear list:Barney Hamilton's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow