Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JacquesBalthazar
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Nikon V1 vs Olympus OM-D (EM 5)
Mar 14, 2012

I bought into the Nikon 1 system around Xmas, a month or so before Olympus announced the OM-D. I enjoy the V1 and its 3 lenses a lot. I have no issue with IQ or operation. On the contrary. However I feel really and increasingly frustrated with the lack of fast native lenses, and the lack of roadmap. Fiddled with dumb adaptor and Leica m lenses. Fiddled with FT1 and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AFS. Both work, but with way too many quirks. For example, with M adaptor i do not even get manual metering,or focus magnifier. The 50 mm is my only Nikkor lens beyond the 1 combo.

I have been looking at the OM-D (aka EM5) with increasing interest. The m43 system has the fast lenses i need. The OM-D also does not cripple operation with manual legacy lenses the way Nikon 1 does. The camera itself seems to do much of what V1 does, minus some super high frame rate gimmicks I never even tried. It also provides stuff the V1 does not provide such as weatherproofing, sophisticated in camera image stabilisation (again great with legacy lenses), tiltable screen.

The OM-D is not widely available yet, so the market has not yet zeroed in on potential bugs.

But based on spec sheets, and on previews increasingly available: what is there not to like with the OM-D. And why should I stay with V1?

PS this not a troll!

JacquesBalthazar's gear list:JacquesBalthazar's gear list
Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T1 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +27 more
Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob,New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow