Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JacquesBalthazar
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?
Nikon V1 vs Olympus OM-D (EM 5)
Mar 14, 2012

I bought into the Nikon 1 system around Xmas, a month or so before Olympus announced the OM-D. I enjoy the V1 and its 3 lenses a lot. I have no issue with IQ or operation. On the contrary. However I feel really and increasingly frustrated with the lack of fast native lenses, and the lack of roadmap. Fiddled with dumb adaptor and Leica m lenses. Fiddled with FT1 and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AFS. Both work, but with way too many quirks. For example, with M adaptor i do not even get manual metering,or focus magnifier. The 50 mm is my only Nikkor lens beyond the 1 combo.

I have been looking at the OM-D (aka EM5) with increasing interest. The m43 system has the fast lenses i need. The OM-D also does not cripple operation with manual legacy lenses the way Nikon 1 does. The camera itself seems to do much of what V1 does, minus some super high frame rate gimmicks I never even tried. It also provides stuff the V1 does not provide such as weatherproofing, sophisticated in camera image stabilisation (again great with legacy lenses), tiltable screen.

The OM-D is not widely available yet, so the market has not yet zeroed in on potential bugs.

But based on spec sheets, and on previews increasingly available: what is there not to like with the OM-D. And why should I stay with V1?

PS this not a troll!

JacquesBalthazar's gear list:JacquesBalthazar's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +22 more
Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Bob,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow