How good is the Nikon 70-200VRII compared to its Canon counterpart?

Started Feb 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
sfnikon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,006Gear list
Like?
Re: How good is the Nikon 70-200VRII compared to its Canon counterpart?
In reply to anotherMike, Mar 14, 2012

The Nikkor is clearly optimized for the close to moderate ranges, and is nearly unbeatable there. Conversely, the Canon seems to be optimized for the moderate to far, and is extremely good there. And of course, it's at different focal lengths too. So if I'm a fashion shooter, I'm with the Nikon, if I'm shooting wildlife or things at longer range, the Canon. Neither is "bad" at the other, just differing strengths. Both represent near state of the art designs with different apparent design goals. If anytthe Nikon is definitely beating the Canon in the closer range work

The first time I'm hearing this but I'm not surprised. I use the 70-200VR2 at close to moderate range most of the time and are blown away by how good it is. I remember I did comparison shots at f/2.8 against the 200VR when I first got the zoom and had a very hard time seeing a difference.

-- hide signature --

Jake

sfnikon's gear list:sfnikon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow