G1X replaces 5D2 w/ 24-105 for travel

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lost in Time
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: G1X replaces 5D2 w/ 24-105 for travel
In reply to ck_WTB, Mar 13, 2012

ck_WTB wrote:

I was wondering in Canon is modifying the RAW files by auto-correcting distortion? I know other manufactures have started doing that with their RAW files but this is the first time that there seems to be evidence that Canon has entered that arena. It isn't necessarily a bad thing but I would like to know.

Imaging Resource have some uncorrected images - I think they suggest that the barrel distortion at wide angle is ~ 3.5%, which is quite high (about double that of a comparable u4/3 zoom lens). You can see the effects of the correction on wide-angle corners, which are noticeably blurrier than the centre.

It is very hard to make sense of the image quality of the G1X. The DPR samples are quite poor at the edges (the G12 is better), but this appears to be something to do with the "close" focus range. In contrast, most of the Imaging Resource images look extremely good, though it helps that most are not at full wide-angle. I suspect that long-distance images are better than close up, and medium-tele images are better than wide-angle.

I am still very undecided about the G1X. I want a small travel camera to complement a 5DII system, but the battery life, macro and size suggest that either the G12 or a Panasonic GX1 is the way to go. (I very much miss my old 40D/G6 combination - it had the huge advantage of both using the same battery, while also giving the G6 a decent sized grip).
--
http://www.flickr.com/14989580@N00

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow