Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FlossTycoon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?
S1, S2, S3, S5 Wednesday thread, 2012.03.14
Mar 13, 2012

Whew, last week we sort of got buried in a flood of Fujifilm X Pro 1 posts though there were plenty of X-100 users and nimrods to keep the page full. I congratulate S5 users Huyzer and Trevor G for breaking into the mirrorless clamor with nice posts from Balboa Park in San Diego and a tractor story from out on the ranch.

It seems like I have been on a weekly theme path for my last Wednesday posts, first the owls, then the iguanas and strom clouds from last week. This week is built around stones, stones and water actually. The water is not moving in the photos. The easiest way to freeze the motion of the water is to use a higher shutter speed. Sometimes nature may beat us to it and immobilize the water with sub freezing temperatures. These photos from October 11, 2009 could go either way. What do you think, frozen in time or frozen in temperature?

All images from the Fujifilm S5 using the Sigma 50mm-150mm f2.8 APO DC lens.

iso 200, 1/125 sec and f4.8 and 112mm for all but the last where the aperture was f5.6 and the focal length was stretched out to 150mm.

I like the way the water forms around the rock in the first one and then hangs off it in the second. We are on the Middle Fork of the Flathead River just outside the western edge of Glacier National Park.

By now you must have figured out nature has frozen the composition and that is ice all over the frame of the photo. We got an early blast of winter that year and temps had not gotten over 20 degrees F with night time temps into single digits for 3 days. Still the leaves on the trees were green, the frosts of fall had not been able to work their magic before winter hit.

So what was I doing standing on the edge of the water with camera and monopod in hand? Friends who know me would probably just ask, "Where is the train?" They would be right. Across the river are the BNSF RR tracks between Minneapolis and Seattle. Here we have a westbound intermodal about to reach the switch at Conkelley, MT. The black NS locomotive is in pool service making up miles of BNSF units working coal trains running from Wyoming's Powder River Basin coal fields to power plants in Georgia.

S5, Sigma 50mm-150mm @ 62mm iso 200 1/500 f8

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GulpNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow