How will I know that my D800 has been unmolested?

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DocS
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
How will I know that my D800 has been unmolested?
Mar 13, 2012

I live in NJ, so there’s sales tax if I purchase online. Thus, there’s no benefit to my ordering online vs. from a local Ritz Camera.

But I do have one concern. I was perhaps the very first to order the camera there. When my D800 arrives, I know there will be curious people there - employees and customers alike - who will want to check it out, handle it, see the menus, etc.. This sort of thing has never been acceptable to me. Call me crazy, or obsessive-compulsive, or whatever. But when I buy something new (especially something of some significant monetary value), I want to know that I am the first one to be handling it. From a more pragmatic standpoint, one never knows who will do what to it - drop it, operate the shutter 10,000 times, leave it out on the counter with the power on for an hour and let dust into it...who knows. I simply don’t trust anyone with my equipment - before I buy it or afterward.

The lady who took my order told me that they typically open boxes to “make sure everything’s inside”. Yeah. Whatever. But she said they don’t do this with customers’ special orders, though.

So, do Nikon boxes come with some sort of seal on them that tells you whether or not the thing has been opened? My D3100 didn’t, but it’s a cheap item and I really didn’t care. I don’t remember whether or not my F100 did back when I bought it new in 2001.

Nikon D3100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow