Why so many lighting cheapskates?

Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
nikoboivin
Regular MemberPosts: 144Gear list
Like?
Re: Why so many lighting cheapskates?
In reply to sospira, Mar 13, 2012

The way I see it, and I might be wrong... photography is made up of a lot of ladders...

When you first start, you buy an entry-level, cheap camera body and lens. If you have a good seller in front of you, he might convince you to take a small speedlight with it.

You start playing with it and find it quite fun but you want to take it to the next level. So you start to look and the first thing you find is the camera maker's marketing hype telling you to get a better body. So you buy a better body.

Then you find a friend or someone online to tell you that you really need better, pricier glass. So you go out and buy a few expensive lenses.

That's usually the moment when you start wondering and learning about light. By that time, you've invested a few 1000$s on a hobby, your significant other is asking you when you,re going to start making money from it to justify the expense and the only thing you keep reading is that you need lighting!

So you do what you did with the rest, you try to start with entry-level stuff that won't ruin you, telling yourself that you'll be able to learn and buy better stuff as time goes by.. I don't know anyone whose first dslr was a 1D Mark IV with a 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8 IS USM II. Accordingly, I don't know a lot of people who bought a Ferrari as their first car.

Assuming that people start by buying the top level stuff is not knowing how people work. It's something new, you want to try it, to see if you like it, to be able not to cry too much if you mess up and break it. You'll spend a few 100$ instead of 10 000$ for sure!

Just my 2ยข on the subject

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow