Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
umanemo
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
Decisions...Decisions
Mar 13, 2012

I am one of those quirky film scanner types that have just recently been born again to digital, I am now semi-reluctantly shooting direct to digital. Why reluctantly? Well I admit my IQ has suffered a bit in that transition but that has me convinced that my equipment is getting outdated. I do recognize the convenience of express throughput realized by direct to digital so I wish to stay in the game. My only concern is the improvement of my IQ which I hope to gain through updating to a larger sensor and more MP’s. I am currently using a maximum of 10 MP with my best kit.

My arena has just expanded and I am realizing a growing following and the sales that go along with that recognition. What a surprise to have the ability to actually sell work privately after 35 years of selling only a few hundred shots used mostly in disposable media! Just about as gratifying as the T.P it was printed on.

My prints have found their best light printed in large format ( 1 mt. sq.) with Lambda quality and Diasec mounted. Yeah, 36” x 36”, very big guy’s to be sure. Therein lies my dilemma, IQ. My bag of tricks just wont stretch some of my best digital files to that size with the same image I have burned into my brain at the moment when I captured the subject.

To the point, Form Factor and IQ/Sharpness being the criteria, I am auditioning these cameras as candidates in order of preference of size followed by IQ and finally bells and whistles: Canon GX1 (good FF for my application), the very expensive FUJI X-Pro1 (rumored to have Leica IQ and an interesting FF), the Olympus OM-D EM-5 (Great FF + post processed IQ potential) or the Sony NEX7 (24MP capable of my enlargement needs + Leica quality lenses).

What’s the inside scoop of these cameras? If going for high IQ and Sharpness would you be obliged to fork over the $2.5 K for the FUJI? Or does anyone think I could get away with the GX1. Olympus has beautiful IQ but mostly post processed for distortion and vignetting. And Sony… well so far in my career my colleagues have considered that to be a four letter word, but I am impressed with the Zeiss 24mm’s IQ but terrified by the price.

Help if you can I greatly appreciate your earnest, educated and experienced input!

(Sorry, I have spread this out to those threads addressing the above models in question)

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow