Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HopeSpringsEternal
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
Why doesn't Sony buy Sigma?
Mar 13, 2012

clearly, Sony has a problem being able to design and produce interesting lenses for its various camera systems and it also seems to have a problem meeting demand for even the few lenses it does manufacture.

It seems to me that Sony should consider buying Sigma in order to boost its lens design and manufacturing capability.

I have several Sigma lenses that are quite unique and special to me and that I can't find in any Sony or other OEM's stables. For example, the Sigma 1.8 trinity (20,24,28mm f/1.8 FF lenses). The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 APS-C lens. The affordable Sigma 500mm f/4.5 etc...

If Sony purchased the optics section of Sigma, it would have access to all these designs, the designers and optics factories as well. It could choose to still make 3rd party lenses for Canon and Nikon as well if it wanted to continue that revenue stream and also retain the economies of scale. However, new premium designs would be kept for just the A and NEX mounts.

For A-mount and NEX users this would mean a deluge of affordable and sesirable lenses especially for the NEX platform. They would all be supported natively by the cameras, guaranteed compatibility, EXIF information would be correct, focusing accuracy would be better, lens corrections would be supported in camera. The Sony's might would mean that the existing designs and new ones would have much better quality control and better distribution.

It seems that buying Minolta's camera assets did not help that much with lens design and production. Maybe Sony needs to go to the piggy bank again and purchase expertise from Sigma.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow