Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ah Pek
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
High mp and fine art photogs
Mar 13, 2012

Let's take well known Aussie photog Ken Duncan as an example. He shoots with P65 backs and lately the Pana LX2 10mp camera. He also occasionally uses a Canon 5D2. He meticulously notes all the technical details of his published works. Go and get one of his recent landscape books and see if you can tell which camera he used. Test yourself - the answers are at the back of the book.

I bet my bottom dollar 99% of people will not be able to pick shots taken with the LX2 and 5D2. He also has many recent images shot with Velvia 50. Granted most of his images are shot at low ISO although I saw one 5D2 image shot at ISO 1000.

So you think people can tell the difference between 36mp or 22mp? I'm talking about normal people here and not the super pixel peepers who can tell the difference in colour and noise notwistanding their monitors aren't calibrated and can also tell the difference of 0.0001s in AF speed.

Now, when Ken wants to print large, he stitches. His panoramic images are typically shot with a P65 with 9-10 images stitched. That is a 600mp image! Is that overkill? Arguably. But is he going to care about 36mp vs 22mp? Unlikely, since he is happily using his Panasonics.

Everything in this world is a compromise. Yin and Yang. All things equal, DR, low noise are functions of pixel pitch whilst resolution is a function of mp. What is your sweet spot? I know what mine is.

-- hide signature --

'The majesticness of that duck is overwhelming!' - Bulbol

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow