Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robbster
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
Returned the K-01, and why...
Mar 13, 2012

Well, decided to return K-01 today along with the two standard zooms I'd purchased with it, the Sigma and Tamron 17-50 f2.8's. I've posted several real-world results here on the forum with LOTS of positive points so won't repeat that here, rather, will give a concise set of reasons as FYI to forum members.

• Too big even with the kit lens

• Too big especially with a standard zoom

• Too big NOT to have an EVF!

To be clear, I really liked the K-01 as you can see from my other posts! Design, ergonomics, image quality, and flexibility all quite good. HOWEVER, I was after a compact mirrorless ILC with rangefinder like dimensions , and the K-01 with a zoom is clearly in the DSLR size range. I've been there with several other cameras (e.g., Nikon D80), and my personal approach now is to pursue maximum image quality and versatility in a smaller package than DSLRs, which is why I've focused on the compact mirrorless ILCs. Had hoped to get an APS-c sensor vs. m4/3rds out of the deal, but alas, no.

Of course, I read the dimensions of the K-01 before buying and had some concerns, but decided hands on test was the way to go. In fact, I tried to set it up to compare the K-01 and the Olympus OMD EM5 directly by pre-ordering both at the same time, but the delivery timing of the OMD is looking like early April, which is past the return window for the K-01, so had to make a call.

Yes, I could have kept it longer, but that felt like abusing the privileges within the return policy, so back it goes.

Again, the K-01 is a pleasure to use, but just wasn't a fit for me in the end. Kinda sad for me on another level, as I learned on a Pentax K1000 SLR decades ago, so I have heart for Pentax as a manufacturer.

In any case, the OMD EM5 is still on order.

BTW, I rejected the Sony NEX series as 1) way to limited set of lens options 2) way too big with those lenses and 3) no built in image stabilization.

Next stop, OMD EM5.

Now, a K-0x with a FF sensor but same dimensions? Hmmm, count me in

All the best, Pentaxians!
--
Create the future or live someone else's. Choose wisely!

Robbster's gear list:Robbster's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +9 more
Nikon D80 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow