ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DoctorPDA
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Canon 24 mm f/2.8 vs. Kit Lens
Mar 13, 2012

Hello,

I am buying a D-SLR for the first time (probably Rebel T2i). I am looking to just buy the camera body. Instead of the kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6), I'd like to buy a "better" lens, since I've heard this lens is not the best quality. I only want to spend less than four to five hundred dollars maximum at this point in time on a lens(es).

I take most of my photos at the the typical default 'point and shoot' focal length (ex. 35 mm). My point and shoot (Canon SD970i) focal length is 6.6-33 mm (35 mm equivalent is 37-185 mm), and I never use the zoom on that camera (i.e. I always use it at 37 mm). I just move forward or backward (within reason) to get the best shot. From my calculations, appears that a Canon prime 24 mm lens would equal around 38 mm if used on a D-SLR and would suit me very well.

I have read that Prime lenses are great in terms of the photos looking "sharp". I was looking to get a Canon 24 mm 2.8 lens, for my main lens for taking photos of people, landscapes, etc. (for ~ three hundred fifty dollars), and possibly also getting a Canon 50 mm 1.8 lens (for ~ one hundred dollars) for occasional close up portrait use, since I've heard that lens is amazing and it's cheap? I would save one hundred and fifty dollars by just buying the T2i body and skip buying the 18-55 kit lens. Not sure that I need the zoom, and I wouldn't mind changing lenses between 24 mm and 50 mm as needed. Would I get better quality photos with these 2 lenses as compared with the kit lens???

Any other suggestions for an alternate lens(es) under four to five hundred dollars instead of getting a kit lens? Thanks.

Thanks,
Gus

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow