Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roland Schulz
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
NEX-7 firmware bugs and possible improvements for updates
Mar 12, 2012

I use my NEX-7K for about two weeks now, coming from NEX-5, also using Nikon D3 and some other stuff. I do photography for about 20 years now.

I´m quite happy with the camera but found some inadequacies that I don´t like that much. I also added some hints of other users/threads to my list shown below. I find this to be the most complete compilation to date since I didn´t find some of my points elsewhere.

I really hope Sony is listening and bringing us useful modifications in form of a firmware update for the premium price we payed for this nice camera.

Sony surprised us with features like the peaking function on NEX-5, I´m sure they have the skills to do this again with the NEX-7!

If you feel things are missing please report.

Numbers in hard brackets [ ] correspond the numbers of controls (buttons/wheel) as shown in the Sony NEX7 user manual.

Manual focusing:

Manual focus can actually be activated through the AF/MF lever [22]. Even if “AF/MF control” in setup is set to “toggle” and manual focus is activated by tapping [21], AF comes back automatically after entering menu, after sleep mode, after entering playback mode and possibly other cases.

AF/MF should stay in the selected mode until the user selects AF through tapping [21] again.

The “MF assist” options should get relabelled in the camera setup.

ON should be relabelled to AUTO since magnification appears automatically when focusing is recognized from an attached SEL/SAL lens.
OFF should be relabelled to MANUAL.

When MANUAL is chosen in the MF assist menu and MF (manual focus) is active, the magnification should be enabled/disabled when toggling the “Right Key” (right position on [23], when the option is activated from the setup).

The actual ON mode is annoying sometimes. In MF mode the magnification comes up automatically when focusing is recognized from the focus ring. Even when magnification is closed through button [26], magnification returns automatically after a short time doing manual focusing.

In many cases magnification isn´t wanted since peaking does a fine job even in full screen mode. Seeing the whole image often is more important to compose.

DMF (direct manual focus) actually doesn´t work until AF has acquired a subject. DMF should even work when AF isn´t able to focus on a subject (subject to dark, low contrast e.g.) cause then DMF makes sense.

AF should stop work if trigger [3] is half pressed and a manual focus change is recognized from the focus ring of an attached SEL/SAL lens. Then DMF should come to work.

This behaviour would be similar to other vendors like Nikon or Canon when using lenses with ultrasonic motors.

Peaking function:

It should be possible to assign the peaking function to the navi button [4]. Color and strengths (or switching off) could easily be set with the Tri-Navi L [18] and R [19] wheels.

Tri-Navi wheels in M mode:

The assignment of the Tri-Navi L [18] and R [19] wheels (aperture/speed) should be customizable/exchangeable for manual mode M. Since most non sports shootesr use A aperture priority or M manual mode it would be nice to have the aperture control wheel always on the same Tri-Navi L [18] wheel.

Video record button [20]:

Since many users reported accidently pressing the movie record function/button [20] there should be an option in camera setup to disable the movie record function/button [20].

If disabled a message should be displayed as long the record button [20] is pressed.

Flash Mode:

There should be an additional flash mode called “STUDIO” that simply flashes without preflash for metering, simply to trigger an external studio flash.

Bracketing function:

An often criticised limitation of higher level Sony cameras is the bracketing function. This is limited to a maximum of 3 shots with a spreading of 0.3 or 0.7 stops.
Since having Tri-Navi control this could be expanded very comfortable.

When BRK function is dialed through the rear dial [23], actually an option function is displayed that can be chosen with button [25].

Then Tri-Navi should step in, selecting the number of frames with the Tri-Navi L [18] wheel (e.g. 0 (BRK disabled), 3, 5, 7, 9 frames) and the spreading with the Tri-Navi R [19] wheel (e.g. 0.3, 0.7, 1.0, 1.3, 1.7 and 2.0 stops).

Since BRK can be disabled and enabled through this manner (setting from 0 (disabled) up to 9 frames), BRK could easily be combined with IR remote or self timer drive mode which can be useful when operating from a tripod for HDR work.

AUTO ISO Limit:
It should be possible to set a maximum value for the AUTO ISO function.

Live View Mode:

In Live View Mode histogram is displayed wrong, only showing brightness spreading of the actual displayed image, not the effects from settings like exposure compensation.

Depth of field display:

Since focusing distance is reported from attached SEL/SAL lenses, a depth of field display, calculated from aperture setting, distance and focal length, similar to that seen with cameras like Panasonic LX5 would be helpful in manual M and aperture priority A mode.

AUTO ISO in M:
Many users lament the disabled AUTO ISO function in manual M mode.

Regards,
Roland Schulz

Roland Schulz's gear list:Roland Schulz's gear list
Sony RX100 II
Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow