Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kane Joseph
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
D90 still a viable option
Mar 12, 2012

I just wanted to make clear in the current lineup of Nikon DSLRs that the D90 is still a completely viable option and perfect bridge camera between entry level and professional DSLRs. Allow me to reiterate this statement with a story about the camera bodies I've gone through. Note that I'm not going to talk about image quality specifics too much. For me, the easier and fun it is to handle a camera, the better images you are going to make.

My first DSLR was a D90 I received as a gift Christmas of 2008. Typically, anyone's first DLSR is a dream to shoot. Mine just happened to be the awesome D90. It came as a kit, with the 18-105 VR lens. This setup was all good until I wanted more reach from my lens and sold it to upgrade to the 18-200. I took more shots in the next 15 months I had the D90 and 18-200 together than the next 2 years I shot with borrowed and rental equipment. I had to sell the D90 setup for financial reasons in February of 2010. Since then, I have used borrowed or rented equipment including the D40, D5000, D5100, D7000 and D3S. While the D3S blows everything out of the water, the D90 still has a warm spot in my heart. I did own a D7000 for about 5 months in 2011 and this is the closest any camera has come in similarity to the D90. I currently own a D5100 and 18-55 VR lens but still long for the feel and function of the D90.

What I love about the D90 that lesser cameras can't match up to is the size of it - it fits perfectly in my hand and isn't too heavy, the viewfinder is bright, the autofocus is quick enough for my needs, and the times I did use the Creative Lighting System was fun and handy. The D5100 I own right now produces great images - no question about that, but it can't replace the D90 in the things that I miss most about it - the way it handles and its feature set which caters more to enthusiast photographers. If I had to pick the biggest difference between the two, it would have to be the pentaprism viewfinder of the D90 that wins me over.

What I'm trying to get at in this post is if anyone is leaning towards getting a D5100 or even a D7000, you still need to consider the D90 as a viable option. Used, the D90 is nearly half the price of a brand new D7000. The D5100 is a fine camera in its own regard. But if you don't crucially need 4 more MP and an articulated LCD screen, go for the D90.

Kane

Nikon D3S Nikon D40 Nikon D5000 Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow