Aurora Borealis in NYC

Started Mar 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,889Gear list
Like?
Re: Hoax
In reply to Cy Cheze, Mar 12, 2012

Cy Cheze wrote:

It would be very difficult to see auroras as far south as NYC, particularly given the high amount of artificial light that bleaches or stains the night skies. Even if some lights were visible, it would be hard to tell the auroras from lights emanating from ground sources. Your best chance would be in a dark section of the Catskills with an unfettered view of the horth horizon.

Concur - though when I was a boy visiting cousins in the winter I caught a show as "low" as New City (the only show of that nature I've ever witnessed). I'm pretty sure there's a lot more light pollution than there was 40 years ago, however. I'm hoping, frequenting the Catskills 2x a month or so, to have a clear night show up there this season. Something to keep an eye out for, anyway. And - safer than the other types of shows one gets up there (lightning).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HoaxNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow