Limiting one's self with a prime - useful or BS?

Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,568Gear list
Like?
Re: wow!
In reply to phototransformations, Mar 12, 2012

phototransformations wrote:

Now that you're back, perhaps you can provide the answer to the varied interpretations of your feelings about your result. In the end, did you feel a) that although you got an interesting shot you really should have brought your 9-18 with you and will go back to get the shot you really wanted or b) not having the 9-18 with you forced you to more deeply explore the setting and come up with a shot you were more satisfied with than your original conception? Or c) some other final feeling?

It's hard to tell which you meant, from your original post. Inquiring minds want to know. (Or at least this one does.)

Yea - I can still be vague while trying not to be. Sorry for that. I was going to address those questions, but to be honest I was just overwhelmed.

While it wasn't the shot envisioned I was happy for how it turned out, glad for the experience. The light of night will be the same whenever I pass that way again, so it's not like I missed a big opportunity (though no people at that early part of the evening was unique). And I can't say what I 'wanted' would be more or less satisfying until I try it with a wider FOV (which I will).

I don't often assess a composition in the field in the same way it was described in the opening - I more or less see how it feels, take some, alter perspective - and often the more time spent lets me see more, but ultimately it's back on a monitor that the shoulda, woulda, coulda introspection part really kicks in. Here I was more circumspect on location because while I've never taken a shot from this side of the underpass, I've looked and shot the overall location many, many times.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Yes.New
wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow