My on-location Portrait technique...
Mar 12, 2012

For this location portrait setup I used the following:

1. Vinyl white backdrop

2. 3x Canon flashes, 2x 430exii and 1x 580exii

3. Canon remote flash controller on camera

4. All flashes set on manual

5. Canon 5d2 plus 24-105 or 100macro if I want the highest quality

6. collapsible umbrellas and softboxes-1.4m translucent umbrella plus Gary Fong on the main flash which is the 580exii

7. To shorten recycle times and to spare my batteries I usually set the flashes on half power and iso at 400-800...

8. not having modelling lamps its important to have the main land side lights as diffuse and large as possible...so that the shadows and highligts are a bit softer and more predictable...I can control contrast in post

9. I fine tune my lighting using my assistant by reducing increasing the power of the flashes, moving the lights closer or further away and increasing or decreasing the actual manual power settings on the flashes itself.

10. the whole setup takes about half an hour to set up, I am quite quick by now...an the typical duration including set up, shoot plus packing up can be done in an hour to an hour and 10min.

11. If I don't want the strong side light I just point the flash towards the background and fill with a reflector or polystyrene...

12. and there you go...please visit my blog for more images and photo techniques at the .... http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/2012/03/milan-ooh-la-la.html

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow