If Canon released a 40MP camera today...

Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Guy Lerner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,770
Like?
If Canon released a 40MP camera today...
Mar 12, 2012

...do you really think it would match Nikon's ISO/DR credentials (that so many posters seem to think is already better than the 5D MkIII)?

So we have to ask ourselves then, do we want 36MP+ just because Nikon has it, do we want 22MP with better noise and DR just because Nikon has it, or do we want Canon to continue improving its cameras for us as Canon users regardless of what Nikon does?

If Nikon is using better sensor technology (vis-a-vis Sony), then it could take another generation of camera for Canon to catch up. I doubt we'll be seeing a miracle 40MP camera with better noise/ISO than the 5D MkIII - otherwise the MkIII would already be using that tech - never mind the 1DX.

If Canon does suddenly release a 40MP camera with (for argument's sake) similar noise/DR to the MkIII, it would no doubt cost $1,000 more and sit squarely between the 5 and 1 as a new category of pro camera.

Personally I'm happy for Nikon users if the D800 is all it's cracked up to be. For me, as a long-time Canon user and working photographer, the 5D MkIII is the ideal camera to see me through the next 3-4 years of my business, during which time I'll likely improve my skills as a photographer at a much greater rate than Canon could eek out an extra stop or two of DR in its sensors.

Just a few thoughts rolled into one

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow