Who else wishes the 1D X and 5D III have iPad control/view?

Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dave Seeley
Contributing MemberPosts: 760
Like?
Re: Who else wishes the 1D X and 5D III have iPad control/view?
In reply to Andy617, Mar 12, 2012

Andy617 wrote:

Don't mean to be picky but I totally agree with use case for ipad, but not in 'an instant' ...more like 7+ seconds to an ipad (small jpeg) via 'unsupported eye-fi...

Andy... I don't see what camera you are using... I was using the eye-fi prox2 8gb card - on a 5dmk2 with CF sd adapter.... but, I could not get mine to work reliably... I'd have a failure -at least- every 25 exposures. On the 5Dmkii, you only have one slot, so you also have to write raw to the eye-fi card - and I hear that that slows it down. If you have dual cf/sd slots, you can free up the eye-fie to just send small jpegs. My experience in testing the eyefi on my 5Dmkii, it took twice as long to write a large jpg to iPad2, than a small jpeg to iPad2.

Here's my results with testing... With my iPad 2 a few feet from my 5Dmk2, across a LAN (nearby too), I got:

small, high quality jpegs in an average of 7.3 secs, a burst of 10 in avg 5.8 secs.

small, med quality jpegs in an average of 6.1 secs, a burst of 10 in avg 5.45 secs

medium, high quality jpegs in an average of 12 secs, a burst of 10 in avg 8.2 secs
medium, med quality jpegs in an average of 8.7 secs
via ad hoc, it was almost identical.

Here's the thing... I tried the eye-fi card in my s90 with native sd slot... The closest size jpeg to the 5Dii high quality (2784x1856)= s90 M1(2816x2112)... and with the s90... I could get those to preview at average 4.4 secs. I'm hoping that a native sd slot makes the difference. I did not test the eye-fi in a dslr with a native sd slot. Love to hear similar testing results in a Canon dslr with native sd slot.

All that said, -my wft-E4II gives me a small high quality jpeg on the iPad2 in 1 to 2 seconds - while I write raw to my high speed 16gb CF card. BUT...is cost me $550

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration
http://www.DaveSeeley.com/

current kit: 5DmkII, 17-35/2.8L, 24-105is/4.0L, 28-70/2.8L, 70-200is/2.8L, 1002.8L macro, 50/1.2L, 6x550ex Speedlites, Phottix Odin Flash Triggers, wft-E4II

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
hahaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow