Started Mar 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,985
Like?
Is 1.3x dead?
Mar 11, 2012

The 1DX is supposedly the merging of the 1D and 1Ds lines into a single pro body. With the first three generations of that series, it made sense economically and technologically to have two separate lines. And, as we all know, one was based on a full frame 35mm sized sensor packed with pixels while the other was a learner 1.3x design. (We all also know that a Mark IV version of the 1Ds never made it to final production.) With the 1DX, Canon decided to go with the larger sensor while still maintaining a fairly moderate pixel count, thus combining full frame with raw speed.

Personally, I liked the format, finding it to be the most versatile of the three for my particular usage. However, I can see where others might not, treading right down the middle of the APS-C format and full frame, not really able to fully exploit either the wide or the tele lenses as well as their polarized cousins. (Actually, my case has all three... full frame, 1.3x, and 1.6x... they all have their uses for me.)

Do you think this means that the 1.3x format is dead?

Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow