What happens to Nikon when larger sensors become standard?

Started Mar 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fred W. Cornelius
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: What happens to Nikon when larger sensors become standard?
In reply to DocS, Mar 11, 2012

On larger sensors there is a problem for 35mm size cameras and that is heat generated by the chip. I have a medium format studio camera with a chip size of approx 40mm square and it gets pretty hot within 5 minutes of being on. The "camera" has a built in cooling system, fan and fins and body vents. The hotter it gets the more noise is visable in an image. You can't really map them out as it varies with the time on ect. We used to call this Christmas Tree lights as they are bright colors, blue red green yellow ect/ Easy to remove in post but it takes time to find and remove them. It is a cluster of 4 pixels in a square. They only appear when the chip temperature goes way up. The outlet air temp approaches 125 deg F with an ambient temp of 70 degrees or so. In the summer I have to run a large fan to keep it cool for extended shooting sessions. How that would work in a small camera to keep it cool is a problem for the engineers. My D300 gets pretty warm shooting tethered after a couple of hours but does not seem to cause any bright pixel clusters.
--
Fred W. Cornelius

Fred W. Cornelius's gear list:Fred W. Cornelius's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 3100 Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow