Started Mar 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,079Gear list
Like?
Used the Nikon 1 for not much more than 1 day
Mar 11, 2012

Good guts, bad exterior, and a bit too overpriced. I bought it used at a bargain price and sold it for a bit more. Comparing just OOC jogs, its quite sharp at 100% crop even compared to my t3i + 17-55 2.8, but I use OOC jpgs in neutral style with no sharpening (will run them through USM later when needed). No ability to set sharpening level in the Nikon 1 OOC jpgs that I could see. Surprisingly the jpg file sizes of the Nikon 1 were on avg the same if not higher than my Canon shots. This must be due to the fact that on avg I have far more depth of field and on avg far more detail throughout the image even with its much smaller resolution! However the Canon pictures just do more for me for the same file sizes but obviously unfair comparison given the investment and size, etc.

Also at 10mm wide open I had noticeably soft extreme corner performance, not sure what that was about since I didn't see any reviews that mentioned it or tested the same. I had the latest firmware on both body and lens.

Anyhow for all that money I'd rather geek out and save it for something like the D800 that looks insane from all preliminary results and tests, etc. I have no problem lugging my Rebel DSLR everywhere except the most formal dinner parties (which due to recession I can't really tell you the last time I even had a company X-mas party), and unfortunately its those type of events that need fast glass anyways which the Nikon 1 doesn't yet have.

I will revisit the mirror less arena in another year or so...things are just starting to get really good from all sides and the next year is when it'll really heat up I think. But boy the pure electronic shutter and FPS performance is fun but jeez now I have to go through and review a lot of pictures right now! I definitely think its the future in being able to put on extreme 'mileage' on your camera with insane shutter count without any wear and tear mirror flap or mechanical shutter worry. The telephoto lens look good...combined with the FPS I think you can grab a lot of good action shots in daylight with this thing over entry level DSLRs. Unfortunately this type of usage is exactly type of use that is not being marketed or fully utilized with its current exterior. A truly grippable and ergonomic form factor + N 1 guts + quality telephoto would be very good considering its good AF performance and insane shooting speeds.

Reviews like this are indication of Nikon marketing and designing it for the wrong folks.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SWI9I3GAKIHY/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005OGQXJW&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

IMO market and design it for camera geeks so when casual users ask their camera geek friends what camera to get, it'll be the Nikon1.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow