Prototype of the 12-50

Started Feb 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mike Davis
Contributing MemberPosts: 687
Like?
I agree!
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Mar 11, 2012

Chez Wimpy,

I love the way you qualified your statements!

if the intention is to use added MP for larger prints and DOF is already sufficient

I agree. The problem with small, high-density sensors is that if we intend to make prints that are as large as the pixel count encourages , and if we want to record subject detail in the print at resolutions supported by the pixel count , we'll be forced by diffraction to shoot at (wide) apertures that suffer lens aberrations and can find ourselves having to work with a choice of only one or two (of the widest) apertures.

As manufacturers continue to improve their handling of noise problems associated with high-density sensors, they really should, as you've suggested, also give us faster lenses that are resolution-optimized more toward the smaller f-Numbers. I realize this equates to big, expensive glass, but the way things are going, diffraction-savvy photographers are finding themselves confined to shooting at just one or two apertures (when using high-density sensors to make prints that are as large as the pixel count encourages.)

Mike

Chez Wimpy wrote:

Bilgy_no1 wrote:

Maybe that diffraction is a theoretical problem past f/5.6 (I think I read it's more like f/8). But I have lenses that improve in sharpness from f/5.6 even down to f/11. So perhaps it's not that big an issue...

Stopping down all the way to f11 is effective for clearing up nascent lens aberrations, at that point diffraction is the dominant factor reducing image quality. As we push further into the MP race, if the intention is to use added MP for larger prints and DOF is already sufficient , we need lenses that optically peak earlier (or are wider aperture to begin with) lest diffraction become the limiting IQ factor.

-- hide signature --

-CW

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow