ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,166Gear list
Like?
Need advice, NEX7 + Sony 16, Voigt 15 or 21
Mar 11, 2012

Before someone says "try search", been there done that. Have read every thread I could still find (there's a couple I couldn't find again, however)

What I'm having difficulty with is this: we seem to be seeing wildly differing results from different people, the latest some tests from blue_skies, which were extensive in some ways but problematic in others. blue_skies results were poor, but then I've seen others that were pretty good. Also, please see this interesting off site material: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1078890/2 I found that thread quite interesting.

For me the magenta cast is not the problem. Nor are softer extremes, especially corners. Really BAD corners are a problem, smearing, etc.

So, what I'd like to see is something a bit more "systematic". I would like to see how all three of these lenses perform stopped down (I don't expect so much from them wide open, as others seem to). I'd like to see shots that aren't too dark. It's March, and in the northern hemisphere we've got very clear, bright light and bare trees and bushes---perfect conditions imo for seeing real world performance, at least from the standpoint of center- corner detail/rez (but please watch the wind...). Tripod mounted or shutter speeds high enough to hand hold with authority---so, forget about "normal" magic hours photos---let's see some mid-day shots, plenty of harsh contrast.

Links to stuff already done that meet these criteria mostly are fine.

Bonus to anyone who has good shots from the Voigt 21. Both the Sony 16 and the Voight 15 are just a hair too wide for my walk-around purposes. The 21 is maybe slightly too long, but is closer to my ideal of 28mm equiv (Sony, Sigma, whoever: PLEASE let's have a fine, fast 28mm equiv!).

Thanks to all of you, and sorry to be a pest if that's what you think.

BTW, I think this NEX7 is flippn amazing. Got the kit, and a cursory look at my first shots left me startled. In a positive way.
--
tex_andrews

"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust

"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow