ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Voikkari
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046Gear list
Like?
SDM failure or not?
Mar 11, 2012

Hi!

I was yesterday visitin a stable where our three yeras old colt is growing and training.

I took some pictures first with my 43 LTD and then changed to my DA* 60-250 which was in a service for SDM problems a few months a go.

My first thoughts we "Oh no, not again!" begause somehow SDM motor was stuck. I then tried the usual, manual focusing by turning the focusing ring. It turned oh, but focus did not! I changed from auto yo manual focur in the camera body, and focus turned nicely. Autofocus on again, and it worked so, so for a while and then got stuck again. By repeating auto / manual sucuense I was able to use lens at that time.

Today I checked the lens and the BODY my K5. I noticed, that focusing motor, or the screw driver actually did not turn easily. There was definitely too much friction there. And as we know, focusing motor is directy coupled with the screw system....

The motor felt as it were moving in secuenses (cannot describe it well in English, sorry) Like there were something trying to hinder it to turn. So I took Elecronic cleaning fluid, put that gently to the motor shaft (you can see the shaft via a hole near SDM / power zoom connectors) and rotated motor my turning focus ring of older lens.

Now extra friction is gone and SDM lens focuses as it should. I also can't feel any extra friction on the motor.

So brothers and sisters: Check your camera bodies before you send the lens to service!

By the way, here is the colt flying...

-- hide signature --

K5 / K20 / K10D/*istD
MZ5n/Z70/SF7/MESuper/MX/Spotmatic F
Pentax since Spotmatic F

Voikkari's gear list:Voikkari's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +5 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow