Need a new portable flash with wireless control

Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,180Gear list
Like?
Re: Need a new portable flash with wireless control
In reply to rigidigital, Mar 11, 2012

It's not likely the RF trigger caused the problem. Most likely is simply overheating the flash. I would send it to Canon for repairs.

I have the Di866 Pro and it works well with all features including E-TTL II when used on-camera. Off-camera with the built-in optical trigger or with a Yongnuo RF-602 it will only operate in manual power control mode. I have not tried it with any other RF trigger system.

I am very satisfied with the Di866 construction, but it does shut down from overheating fairly easily. It is best to use high enough ISO to keep the flash operating at 1/2 or less power.

One feature missing from the Di866 Pro or Mark II is crop sensor detection for the zoom function. This means that the extra power of the Di866 is wasted if you are shooting with a crop sensor camera.

The YN-565 is closer to the 430EX II than to the 580EX II and I doubt that it would provide enough power for you. The YN-565 also lacks crop sensor detection.

If you want higher power, such as you get from studio strobes, but want portability for location work, then look at AlienBees from Paul C. Buff. PCB offers the Vagabond Portable Power system and the CyberSync system.

The Vagabond is fairly light weight and carries a lot of power for lots of shots. It is highly regarded and is even used by many photographers with non-PCB studio strobes.

The CyberSync system allows you to remotely control the flash power. The CyberSync Commander even has a built in flash meter.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow