Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rudypol
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
My Thoughts on why Orbs!
Mar 10, 2012

The x10 has a Trans array sensor, compared to many cameras having a bayer sensor. Most sensors have whats called a low pass filter in front of the sensor, it cuts resolution while keeping moire effects to a minimum.

The Trans sensor does not have this filter so the images retain the resolution and the sharpness is increased, or should I say it shows more sharpness.

The Sensor was made to give you a sharper image and retain all the properties of a class digital camera.

Nikon has come out with a D800e without that very same low pass filter. You have a choice to buy one with or without.

Years ago I used a Canon Camera which cost me $25,000 I was able to unscrew the low pass filter for News work and put it back when doing portraits. If I dropped it the replacement cost of the filter was $1000.

So my thoughts are that the low pass filter would have smudged for a better word, the over exposed lights and highlights while the sensor without the filter brings the overexposed highlights into some sort of sharpness. Makes sense?

Rudypol's gear list:Rudypol's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow