Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thielges
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
How to use a Canon strobe on an EX1 / TL500
Mar 10, 2012

A while ago someone mentioned that you could probably get a Canon strobe to work on an EX1 by disabling some of the hot shoe contacts. So I experimented and found that covering the two rear contacts does the trick. Just a piece of scotch tape over the hot shoe seems to work though the contacts dragging over the tape seems to wear it out a bit. See attached photo below.

The strobe only works in full manual but that is fine by me since TTL metering can never seem to read my mind anyways. I'm just glad to have access to the awesome guide factor that the 540EZ delivers. Odd that something as simple as delivering a shutter signal can't be done cross-brands without trickery.

The resulting combination is a little comical with the big strobe dwarfing the little EX1.

namespace SOAPBOX {

What a shame and a disgrace that camera manufacturers can't even agree on supporting the simple classic center pin strobe fire interface. Even supporting sophisticated TTL metering and zoom sync would be simple to standardize. But they don't even make an effort.
} SOAPBOX

Samsung TL500 (EX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow