Neewer TT560 review

Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,934Gear list
Neewer TT560 review
Mar 10, 2012

I picked up the Neewer TT560 Speedlite of of Amazon this week for $37.32 including shipping. I've had a chance to play with it a bit so here's a quick review.

• 8 manual power settings from full power down to 1/128th

• 3 triggering modes - Manual, [optical] Sync 1, [optical] Sync 2

• Flash head tilts 90 degrees down and swivels 180 degrees left, 90 degrees right

• Metal hot shoe

• PC sync socket

• Built-in "reflection board" and "wide angle diffuser"

• metal hot shoe

• charging socket

• comes with a mini stand

• GN of 38m at ISO 100

• Charging indicator blinks when batteries are low

• Power saving mode kicks in at 30 minutes in "M" mode, 60 minutes in either of the "S" modes. Charging indicator flashes in power saving mode

• Over temp shutdown based on power level; 10-minute cooling off period

• Flash duration is listed at between 1/300th and 1/20,000th of a second. (Not sure I believe these numbers but I can't verify.)

• Color temperature listed at 5,600K plus/minus 200k

Features it doesn't have:

• no audible signal when charged

• no instructions whatsoever on how to use the charging socket or what kind of unit can be plugged into it

• no TTL of any sort

• no zoom

• no listing of trigger voltage in the manual (rumored to be 3V)

Construction is solid. The Neewer is longer and narrower than my Vivitar 283, so it fits better in my camera bag. I verified that the S1 optical sensor, PC sync, and low battery warning all worked. The TT560 had no problems working with my Cowboy Studio NPT-04 wireless triggers. The controls are brain-dead easy to use, with individual blue LED indicator lights for each power setting and each trigger mode.

In summary this seems like a good choice for an inexpensive manual strobe, assuming these units have no quality control issues.

1/64th power with a strap-on portable softbox at 12" distance, wireless trigger, WB 8,295K, tint at -6 (there was a tiny bit of CFL light in the room as well):

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow