Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,698Gear list
Like?
Neewer TT560 review
Mar 10, 2012

I picked up the Neewer TT560 Speedlite of of Amazon this week for $37.32 including shipping. I've had a chance to play with it a bit so here's a quick review.

Features:

• 8 manual power settings from full power down to 1/128th

• 3 triggering modes - Manual, [optical] Sync 1, [optical] Sync 2

• Flash head tilts 90 degrees down and swivels 180 degrees left, 90 degrees right

• Metal hot shoe

• PC sync socket

• Built-in "reflection board" and "wide angle diffuser"

• metal hot shoe

• charging socket

• comes with a mini stand

• GN of 38m at ISO 100

• Charging indicator blinks when batteries are low

• Power saving mode kicks in at 30 minutes in "M" mode, 60 minutes in either of the "S" modes. Charging indicator flashes in power saving mode

• Over temp shutdown based on power level; 10-minute cooling off period

• Flash duration is listed at between 1/300th and 1/20,000th of a second. (Not sure I believe these numbers but I can't verify.)

• Color temperature listed at 5,600K plus/minus 200k

Features it doesn't have:

• no audible signal when charged

• no instructions whatsoever on how to use the charging socket or what kind of unit can be plugged into it

• no TTL of any sort

• no zoom

• no listing of trigger voltage in the manual (rumored to be 3V)

Impressions:

Construction is solid. The Neewer is longer and narrower than my Vivitar 283, so it fits better in my camera bag. I verified that the S1 optical sensor, PC sync, and low battery warning all worked. The TT560 had no problems working with my Cowboy Studio NPT-04 wireless triggers. The controls are brain-dead easy to use, with individual blue LED indicator lights for each power setting and each trigger mode.

In summary this seems like a good choice for an inexpensive manual strobe, assuming these units have no quality control issues.

1/64th power with a strap-on portable softbox at 12" distance, wireless trigger, WB 8,295K, tint at -6 (there was a tiny bit of CFL light in the room as well):

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow