ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,346Gear list
Like?
Nex-7 is bad bad bad . . .
Mar 10, 2012

Nex7 is even more disappointing than expected with RF lenses

I'll be breaking up this post with pictures per lens, so you can see for yourself.

The Nex has both magenta cast and loss of sharpness on the 21mm, 28mm AND 35mm RF lenses tested. It ALSO has this on the 16mm E mount lens, and with the adapters.

Only the other E mount lenses behave better.

Don't flame the photographer - this was a mid afternoon exercise with three cameras and 15 lenses - all in 45 minutes. Can you see me going - lens on, lens off, lens on, lens off. (There is some missed focus, poor framing).

Bottom line, I think that there is enough here to look at for comparisons. I was specifically looking for magenta cast and sharpness.

My conclusion is that the Nex7 is pretty much useless with ALL wide RF lenses (35mm inclusive) and E-mount wider than 18mm. I know that the color cast can be corrected (did so on Nex-5), but given the better quality of the 5N, why even bother?

The 5N is a better camera, imo, for several reasons, a big one being the way it handles the legacy RF lenses much better.

Images are processed in LR3, but only for downsampling, not for color corrections.

I do apologize for the Nex-5 images being in 16:9 format - it doesn't show the magenta cast as well as the 3:2 would have. Will redo at some time. But generally, the Nex7 is WORSE than the Nex5.

Note - in the album, I listed filenames as "Lens_Aperture[ab]_Camera.jpg" (a=building, b=sky).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +33 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow