What's the future for APS-C?

Started Mar 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Geodesiq
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the future for APS-C?
In reply to mike_2008, Mar 9, 2012

mike_2008 wrote:

The title of the thread is "What's the future for APS-C?", it seems pretty clear that price has a strong influence on the answer to that question.

Like I said in my original post in this thread, by a happy coincidence of physics, manufacturing processes and optics, aps-c occupies the sweetest spot for any sensor.

It is the largest sensor that can be mass produced for a reasonable price, producing great IQ for the money. Lenses can be cheaper, lighter and smaller than FF. Picture quality has become almost indistinguishable from the FF brethren. Finally, the sensor size is large enough to get a nice dof, but not so large that shallow dof is a problem.

Unless making sensors becomes much much cheaper aps-c will be with us for a very long time.

Well put. APS-C is the sweet spot. Try as I might I could not get shallow enough DOF with m4/3 even with longer focal length. APS-C is much better. The difference between it and FF is basically splitting hairs.

Geodesiq's gear list:Geodesiq's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ha!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow