Photographer or Artist? Which are you, and can someone be both?

Started Mar 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532
Like?
Photographer or Artist? Which are you, and can someone be both?
Mar 9, 2012

I am trying to get actual opinions without starting an online battle. I feel as though I use my camera to create art. I may take 100 images of the same thing in an effort to capture emotion and express myself as an artist. I recently shot a wedding where I shot a high angle portrait of a bride wearing a tiara-like headband. My favorite picture was the one where I focused on the headband (f 2.8) and the band was "tack sharp". Her face however was soft and kind of dreamy looking. I liked some of the samples where her face was sharp, but to me they were boring, and did not represent the emotion of the shoot well. I scrapped them, and included the shot I speak of in her package. A week later, after she shared it on a social media site, there were tons of comments on it being one of the best pictures the commenter’s had ever seen. Some even suggested she send it to a magazine. (Yes I shared copyrights, so she could if she desired) I know if I had submitted it for C&C on here I would have been ostracized, but to me it was a technically bad, but very artistic shot. Anyway... To the group, what do you strive for with your camera?? Art, perfection, or both? Would you dismiss an amazing picture with bad technical aspects? (if you consider that possible)? Let me know your thoughts, and please don't hold back. I am as thick skinned as they come. (Ex Navy Chief)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
uhmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow