Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
Re: Forum musings part 2
In reply to Wyville, Mar 9, 2012

Wyville wrote:

Ben_Egbert wrote:

Good point. I don't even like black and white but I can and have studied his methods and most of all his approach to photography. I still see nothing wrong with striving for perfection, even to the point of obsession. But I need to be my own judge of what perfection means to me.

Indeed, your own judgement is most important because that is where the fun is found.

I just got back from Zion with a zillion pictures taken after a lot of hiking. I processed them and printed 8x10 proofs to see if I had a wall hanger. I don't.

In the past, I always felt like such effort had to have a result. But the truth is it takes many such trips and a lot of effort but also a lot of luck to get the real deal.

I knew when I was there it would not happen. Cloudless sky's, bare trees will probably make ho hum images.

I have been to Zion several times but 30-50 years ago and before I was taking pictures so I also had to do one exploration trip to get to know the time and light for the various locations.

I just need to call this one a training trip and not worry about the lack of results. I had fun doing it so that is the real reward.

I also learned some important lessons.

1. Zion is a 14mm place on a FF. Not everything, but many places.

2. I had a stitch problem with my 17TSE which was user error and will be corrected next time.

3. Contrails which have dissipated so that they are barely visible can really mess up a stitch shot. Hard to clone in a sky and get even gradients.

4. The Zion overlook is not a sunrise location after all.

5. The narrows in the area where you need to wade/swim is not a place I will take $20k worth of gear.

I used to train track and field like a professional. I grew up with several world class athletes from various sports and I wanted to be a great 100/200m sprinter myself. Never came close, of course, but I found that the best possible training for me was (very) long distances through natural terrain (woods, mountains, etc.).

Completely different from what I initially envisioned, but the process of trying out something helped me to uncover that which really fits me like a glove.

I hope I can do the same with my photography now. I started out with landscapes, did some stop motion, always wide angle to normal, and now I'm trying to find a way to start doing some tele work. It's great fun to explore these various aspects of photography.

-- hide signature --

Technical savvy is required to understand a technical argument. The rest take purported facts on faith and argue from that position or remain silent.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow