Started Mar 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TomHJ
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
DMF, "Auto" Focus Peaking, and SSM Lenses on the a77
Mar 9, 2012

So, having read a couple of times about the a77's ability to finish an autofocus with a "automatic" shift to DMF (when AF-A was set to "DMF" in the menu) which would also automatically start focus peaking (obviously, assuming it was turned on as well), I went to try it. Worked great with my Tamron 17-50mm screw-drive lens: It would focus and the peaking lines would automatically appear. Having read that it also worked for SSM lenses--which always had DMF irrespective of the AF-A setting, but this enabled the automatic focus peaking as well--I popped on my Tamron 60mm f/2 macro and--nothing. No focus peaking without pushing the AF/MF button on the a77's body. I puzzled, searched (unsuccessfully), and then decided to try a different SSM lens, so I attached my Tamron 70-300 USD lens and, just as "advertised," it worked--with automatic focus peaking when autofocus was done.

So, now my puzzle is whether not all SSM lenses trigger this function--or whether anyone else has found that the Tamron 60mm macro behaves differently in this respect from other SSM lenses. (I know that this doesn't work for SAM lenses at all, but that's a different issue.)

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow