Eurostar
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
Re: Blue tit
In reply to Sinnettc, Mar 9, 2012

Wow, how may replies.

First, thanks to all for the complimts.

Coming to the questions:

1) About the exposure, it was chosen for maximize the DOF around the focus point. If I would have chosen a larger aperture, the wings would be in focus but the head a lot less. The head is out of focus in the shot, but not enough to ruin the picture. The -1 EV was to avoid to burn out the snow. It's true that to photograph snow you have to push UP the EV, because the meter would expose it grey and not white, but when there is the bird in the frame, the meter read it, and let the snow value go up. Hence, the -1 EV.

2) I forgot a "little" detail in the caption: the picture is made with trap focus (or, like Pentax call it by the time K20D came out, catch-in focus), so I was not there. I aimed the camera at a bunch of sunflower seed I put in the snow, put the camera in AF-S and the lens in M, blocked the cable release and went away, leaving the camera to take the picture every time a bird came in focus. So, from a technical standpoint, every picture of the 32GB memory came out perfectly focused and exposed. From an "artistic" one, this was the only keeper of many hundreds of shot the camera did.

Eurostar's gear list:Eurostar's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Apple iPhone 4S +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow