ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,890Gear list
Like?
Do you like/use the Battery Grip
Mar 8, 2012

Hi all,

How many have arrived on location and found the camera's battery lost a lot of charge even though it was snug in its case and switched off? Furthermore, the spare battery wasn't fully charged up the last time it was removed so... Since, when also doing some video, the camera sucks juice from the battery faster than the mummy at the cinema, there'll be searching for an electrical outlet (tumbleweed hasn't got one).

A battery grip is the answer but not without problems. I find my hands are wide enough that the pad behind my little finger covers the BG's shutter button. Comically, I'll be standing talking to someone and bzzzt bzzzt the camera attempts to focus on my navel. Even when the camera is switched off, the battery in it loses some charge. The BG won't help with that. I recently did a test of putting a fully charged battery in only the BG and nothing in the camera. With both the camera and the BG switched off, the battery will retain full charge seemingly indefinitely. Finally, an advantage for the bulky BG. It appears one could put a charged battery in just the BG and count on it still having all of its charge later.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow