Started Mar 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TomHJ
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
Interesting (?) Finder/LCD Switching Difference Between a65 and a77
Mar 8, 2012

Owning an a65 and playing extensively recently with an a77, I was initially puzzled by what I thought was an a77 “problem” (but on reflection wasn’t). On the a65, with Finder/LCD set to “auto” switch, no matter what position the LCD screen is in, putting your eye to the finder switches the view to the finder. (I did a lot of “checking” in some situations with the a65’s screen just unclipped and lowered (so it was below the a65’s bottom. In that situation I could go back and forth between the LCD screen and the finder without a problem.) On the a77, this is a “no go.” There is no auto switching unless the screen is turned around and “clipped” against the a77’s body. (Gary Friedman notes that “[i]f the LCD is away from its “home” position, the IR sensor is deactivated. No automatic switching for you!”—but not (to my knowledge) that this applies only to the a77.) In thinking about this difference, I think I resolved the “puzzle.” On the a65, the LCD screen can never “block” the finder (with its IR sensor), so it can be left to the “auto switching” no matter what position the LCD screen is in. But on the a77, since the three-way swivel has a bracket that will press against the finder when one places the LCD screen above the camera, “auto switching” needs to be deactivated. The deactivation is complete, unless, as Friedman indicates, the LCD finder on the a77 is at its “home” position. Now that I've figured this out (I think), it makes sense, but it still leads to a very different operation between the a65 and the a77, even if for logical reasons!

Sorry if this was obvious to everyone (except me). Having gotten used to the way the a65 switched, it certainly wasn’t obvious to me upon picking up an a77….

Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow