ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rectified
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Nikon 80-200 f/2.8D two-ring consistent backfocus
Mar 8, 2012

Hi all,

I just picked up a mint 80-200 for my D90, but I immediately noticed a backfocus issue, apparent even in casual shooting. At f/2.8, the focus is consistently up to an inch behind the target at 10 feet, which completely ruins the shot (sometimes the ears are in focus instead of the eyes). I've tested it on charts too, at multiple FLs and apertures, and it tends to go 10-14mm behind target. The problem is more pronounced near its minimum focus distance. It's also incredibly soft at 200mm f/2.8 near minimum focus, but I am aware this is common and not necessarily a defect.

The question is, what should I do? I can't AF fine-tune the D90, and my 70-300 VR blows this lens out of the water with focus accuracy and hence perceived sharpness. Even at f/5.6 on both lenses, there is a considerable back-focus on the 80-200. Should I return the lens to the seller, or is there a way I can manually tune the focus on my D90? Do I wait for a new body with AF fine tune..?

This is upsetting because the 80-200 2.8 is pretty much exactly what I wanted in my telezoom, and the 70-200 VR2 is triple the price, easily (compared to the $750 I paid for the 80-200!).

-- hide signature --

Visit my Flickr! I primarily shoot motorsports, urban and natural landscapes.

http://www.flickr.com/rectified

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow