Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens Owners thoughts?

Started Mar 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens Owners thoughts?
Mar 8, 2012

I'm suddenly in the caught in the middle of a LBA quandry. I was thinking of getting the Pentax 10-17 FE as something of an experimental lens, that could be pushed into service as a normal corrected UW through the use of Defishing software like PT lens.

Now I see that sigma has the a 8-16 rectilinear UW out, for around the same price of the Fish Eye.

I every once in awhile really need a wider lens for doing shots in small rooms. Sauna Hamman, classrooms, museums, So now I'm in a quandry and need a little support in the decision making process.

To all intents and purposes the Sigma 8-16 and the Pentax 10-17 cost the same. I just have a sense that in the long rum the Sigma will be more useful to me than the Pentax, but I wonder if I'll miss that FE magic? 180° coverages on the Pentax seems unreal!!

I know there is a weight Penalty with the sigma which is 200 gr's heavier than the Pentax. I also know about the terrible purple fringing on the pentax,

Regards

Brent

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow