Feeler question: Pentax for wildlife photography?

Started Mar 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Entropius
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,167Gear list
Like?
Feeler question: Pentax for wildlife photography?
Mar 8, 2012

Hi y'all,

I've done a great deal of wildlife photography with an Olympus SLR system, but that equipment was stolen recently.

I've been intrigued by the Pentax system for a while: it seems like the K-5 is a wonderful body that is just as big as it needs to be, has a great sensor and useful features like in-body IS and weathersealing, and a nice big bright viewfinder.

The trouble is, what glass do you hang on it, specifically to shoot birds with? I'm looking to spend maybe $2000-ish on glass ( maybe $3000 if it will get me something exceptional), and would like to get to 400mm (at least) with good sharpness and reasonably good AF. Used lenses are fine. What do Pentaxians use for work like this? I understand there is a 300 f/4 but no teleconverters; is that right? Are there any third-party teleconverters that work (well)? What about Sigma/Tamron long glass?

How does legacy glass perform on Pentax? Can you adapt old Nikon-mount lenses to it? (You can adapt pretty much any SLR lens to Four Thirds so I'm not used to asking that question. )

Also, I'd want a macro lens, too: from what I've read it looks like the Sigma 70/2.8 macro is a winner.

Thanks for your help!

Entropius's gear list:Entropius's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow