Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,124Gear list
Like?
DeOrbIt: free software tool to improve "white orbs"
Mar 7, 2012

Well, I've now posted a WWW form version of the free DeOrbIt tool I've been building over the past couple of weeks. It is at:

http://aggregate.org/DIT/DEORBIT/

This free software tool is the result of applying some of the techniques from my computational photography research to recognize, synthesize textures for, and re-shade Fuji-like "white orbs." The results right now are fairly good, although the code still has trouble distinguishing sensor bloom regions from those that are saturated but not blooming.

I do not even own a Fuji camera, so I am hoping that the community will provide sample images via the WWW form version that will allow me to improve the performance for public domain release of a stand-alone full source code C version. Note that various parameters can be tuned using the WWW interface and you can submit grades for how effective each parameter set was.

In case you're wondering, this was done as a help to the community that I hope also will generate a research publication or two. I am a computer engineering professor at the University of Kentucky, and my Aggregate.Org research group has developed many tools that we have freely distributed... although most involve cluster supercomputing. Of course, I wouldn't feel bad if some company were to decide that maybe they'd like to fund some of our computational photography research....

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +21 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow