Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jindrich
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
Is the D800 suitable for PJ and Sports?
Mar 7, 2012

I've been using Canon DSLRs for about a decade, but with the latest offers and prices of both main brands, I think I'm going to switch to Nikon this time.

My question follows: Theoretically, it's the D3/4 cams the ones made for such task, but can't the D800 be used for PJ-style and sports photography as well?

I base my reasoning in that the new D800 will have one of the best AF DSLRs have ever seen, the body is fairly rugged, ISO6400 appears to be quite usable (even more if you reduce it to 25%, as 9Mpx is all you need for an A4 at 300ppi) and it can do 5-6 fps at 1.2 and 1.5 crop modes.

I don't see how a camera with such specs can't be used for "run and gun" PJ-Style as well as for watersports photography (windsurf, yachting, etc).

I'm planning to use the D800 at the 1.2 crop mode by default (5fps at 25MPx and 25-30MB/photo lossless compressed RAW), then 1.5 crop for when I need more reach and finally FF for slower paces, or for studio strobes photography.

Is this scenario doable?

BTW, I even think I'd have enough with just 4fps as long as the AF stays with me. I'm not of the "spray and pray" kind, as I rather think it's much more important to know to choose the right instant to shoot.

Anyway, I don't understand why people categorize the D800 just as "studio" when it supposedly will have a first class AF and good 6400 ISO.

What do you think?

Nikon D3 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow