Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lxcellent
Contributing MemberPosts: 748Gear list
Like?
The 5DIII is a better looking body than D800
Mar 7, 2012

I'm not kidding. I know that it has nothing to do with the image that it creates, but I like the way the 5DIII looks. I can't help but be affected by that. However, I often think that when a company takes the time to design something that looks pretty on the surface, it often reveals attention to details under the skin. I don't think that is the case with these two bodies, but it applies to other tools.

My useless opinions:

I really like the look of the Nikon D700. It's got great proportions and the external controls make it look like it is something to be reckoned with. Reminds me of a clenched fist.

I hate the overly rounded and droopy look of the D800. It looks like a Dali painting.

I think the 5DII looked out of proportion (pentaprism was too small relative to the rest of the body) and the top plate looked too busy and cramped.

I love the look of the Nikon 4D. Great looking in terms of proportions and utility.

I think the 1Dx is a bit bottom heavy and the gentle slopes of the pentaprism box is a bit too feminine for my liking.

I love the 5DIII best of all. Good proportions (grip side to non-grip side, pentaprism to rest of body), enough roundness to look beefy, but enough blockiness to look strong. The rear buttons and dials are more balanced across the length of the body. The rubber grip material is better laid out across the face of the camera - particularly near the lens mount. Really a nice looking camera. It reminds me of a 3 series BMW.

I think I will buy the 5DIII based on the way it looks! (Isn't that how many of us buy our cars?)

lxcellent's gear list:lxcellent's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow