Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hired Goon
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Advice for Arches/Canyonlands photography
Mar 7, 2012

I'm off to Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park for a few days, and I'm looking for some photographic tips.

I'll be spending one day at Canyonlands at the Island In The Sky section and I'm wondering when is the best time to shoot the various views. I guess that Mesa Arch is best at sunrise, but there are some viewpoints that face west and I'm concerned that I may get there late afternoon when the sun is low and facing toward the camera.

Then I will be at Arches for one or two days and I'd like to make sure I get to the various spots (e.g North and South windows, Courthouse, etc) at the right time. I'm planning on getting to Delicate Arch before sunset, but I'm not sure how to plan my visit around the other spots so that I get there at the right time for each.

I'm hoping also to get to Dead Horse Point state park (close to Canyonlands) and Castle Valley (east of Moab along the Colorado River) as well.

Any examples of great shots at these places, and especially the times when you took them, would be appreciated.

Hired Goon's gear list:Hired Goon's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow