Colors comparison: 70-200L and 55-250

Started Mar 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Erik00
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: Colors comparison: 70-200L and 55-250
In reply to TimTheOya, Mar 7, 2012

TimTheOya wrote:

The bottom one to me looks way better in terms of detail. You can see the weave of the fabric in all the flowers, while the texture is barely visible in the top photo. The bottom is also relatively over-exposed compared to the top, as can be seen by the whiteness of the wall and overall image brightness.

Not the best comparison, but if the lower image is the L lens, it really shows off its better sharpness/resolution. If the top image is the L lens, it really argues against spending 1000$.

I have already reviled that the first photo (file name Flowers_2 is the L lens)
the second photo(file name Flowers_1) is the 55-250.

I also wrote that you should not judge from sharpness, as I think both photos could have had further sharpening without showing artefacts and because I could not achieve the exact same focus in the two photos where the d.o.f. is pretty narrow.

My own conclusion simply was that the 55-250 lens does not have muddy colours and does not suffer from lack of contrast/micro-contrast - as some people claim. In developing it would be very easy to make each of the two photos looking better than the other if that was the purpose.

Sorry, but I had limited time for my testing.

Erik00's gear list:Erik00's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow