DO NOT BUY THE Carry Speed Strap (CS-PRO)

Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dresner
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
DO NOT BUY THE Carry Speed Strap (CS-PRO)
Mar 7, 2012

Here is my review of the Carry Speed Strap.

At first glance, this seems like a great deal and great design. They advertise that they are in their second generation of design and that this current design is 1 year old. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJl2FMp0OPQ

The strap is comfortable but it is so long that once adjusted it does not leave a lot of room to raise the camera without the camera bumping into the camera adjustment straps.

The shoulder pad is awesome...very cozy

The ball and socket design is excellent and a very secure way to connect your sling to your camera.

But then the party stops. The mounting plate that goes on the bottom of your camera is flawed heavily and not usable. The plate itself is somewhat hollow to hold a piece of rubber that should rest flush with the bottom of your camera. The mounting plate has two mounting points that extend out and should clear the body of the camera and stop around the lens.

The problem is the mounting points do not extend far enough and are pushed up by the body of the camera. This pushes the plate upward toward its front naturally pushing the back of the plate into the camera causing the plate to sit unevenly. That uneven sitting causes the rubber to be pushed to far into the body of the plate and you can not put the alen wrench into its holding slot. You also have to screw the plate in way to tight just to get it to mount onto the camera. This is not good for the camera and it's not a secure way to carry your camera. The work around is not to use the plate and screw the ball and joint directly into the camera. Then you paid for a 55 dollar neoprene strap that is too big with a small piece of metal and worthless metal mounting plate with serious design flaws making it unusable.

I contacted Carry Speed and was taken back by their attitude. They failed to apologize, told me that I would need to buy an upgrade, and admitted they are selling a flawed product. Here is their response:

Dear Client,

We recently found this issue and we will re-design our product.This is our fist generation , and our product is not perfect. And our new designed mounting plate will coming soon.We don't suggest you to put your Allen key into mounting plate right now. But when our new designed mounting plate is available, we will offer a discount price to upgrade your product.
Thank you

So while Carry Speed has a great idea, they don't know how to design or engineer their idea into a workable product. Maybe they should hire a real engineer and make the product in a place with proper quality control.

I have filed a complaint with the Houston BBB and contacted Carry Speed for resolution. They need to be stopped from selling a defective part and those who have purchased this piece should be getting a refund or free replacement.

Please spread the word!

dresner's gear list:dresner's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow