Flat view
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
Forum musings part 2
Mar 6, 2012

See this for previous musing.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=40817478

1. Weekly Landscape posting creates a pressure for quantity over quality.

2. I have been pushing too hard. I can’t expect to take one or more great photos a week.

3. Like most people who have been around for a few years and have decent equipment, I will get the shot. Once in a while I will get lucky and be at the right place at the right time and get a good one. I just can’t expect to do this on demand on a weekly basis.

4. Local stuff is not working too well. I think photography is at a point where only eye popping images are good enough. Great light on a local scene is not cutting it.

5. On the other hand, a great scene like Mesa Arch (choose from hundreds of others) is so overdone that the light and clouds must be exceptional to get a stand out image. Even if you were there 50 days a year your chances are slim of getting such a show stopper.

6. But I am lucky to get 3-4 non local photo trips a year with 3-4 days each. By nature, landscape photography is seasonal so they don’t fill much of the year. Only one in 4 or 5 such trips produce a great image because I missed the color or light or they were burning etc.

7. Photography is my only current outlet but even going out 2 or 3 times a week and as much as I process and reprocess images, it still takes only a fraction of available time. I need forums too.

8. Posting images tends to become competitive and praise seeking. When recognition does not come, you tend to modify what you do in an effort to get this.

9. Copying is something we all do. It’s a valid learning thing, but after a while you want a unique style and vision. Then you would like it to be validated.

10. Because most of us are not Ansel Adams this does not happen and all that’s left is to shoot what you like and forget about validation. ( this was the aha moment )

-- hide signature --

What I need most is to improve the content of my images. But I like my content and have not been able to figure out what people would prefer.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow