Baby Pics - Lens, Flash setups

Started Mar 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
MarcelLuettmann
Regular MemberPosts: 418Gear list
Like?
Re: Baby Pics - Lens, Flash setups
In reply to DurhamRookie, Mar 6, 2012

DurhamRookie wrote:

Hi all, i'm relatively new to the DSLR world and am looking for some input as to what i may need in way fo lens, flash setup.

I'm going to be a father for the first time this summer and i don't want to miss anything, i have a Saony a700 with a couple lenses; ie. Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Minolta 50mm f1.7 and sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 and i also have a flash.

If the flash's head can turn up AND left and right, this list is almost perfect.

The 50/1.7 for ambient light, the 17-50 for indoor shots with bounced flash (and shallow DOF, if you want), the 70-300 for large indoor rooms (bounced flash) or outdoor shots. Outdoors, in our garden, I was happy about the flexibility of my 18-250. But you won't need something like that until your kid moves very fast, like spring / summer 2013.

You can do good things with a 50/1.7, ambient light and higher ISOs, but image quality will be much better as soon as you add a bounced flash. As soon as you bounce the flash, the light source (a large area of wall&ceiling) is big enough to make sure that the light will be spread on the baby's retina, so it won't be hurt.

I don't really know how to execute flash photography nor do i have boat loads of cash so what are some tips and tricks that i can use?? Are the lenses i have sufficient and do i need any accesories for the flash??

Thanks

As accessory for your flash, you'll need white walls and ceilings.

See http://www.neilvn.com/tangents , or his first book, about on-camera-flash-photography, which gives you the same infos, but on paper.

Marcel
--
My gallery: http://www.turbogenial.de

MarcelLuettmann's gear list:MarcelLuettmann's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Sony SLT-A33 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow